Friday, March 30, 2012

Regrowing Green Onions

Occasionally, I order green onions for the co-op boxes to give people a break from the large white, yellow, and purple onions that can take over your pantry if you aren't into tons of onions like we are at my house.  Green onions get used up quickly at my house, because we like to use them in salads, as garnish, and in several recipes so I was thrilled when I saw an article (which I can no longer find because I didn't Pin it!) about regrowing them on Pinterest. 

The onions pictured above were obviously past their prime, so I thought that they'd be a good place to start.  I clipped off the floppy ends with my kitchen scissors and removed the tag and rubber bands.  I placed the onions in a mason jar with about an inch of water and waited.  And waited, and waited, and waited.  The only maintenance required was an occasional changing of the water.  About two weeks later, voila!  I had a fresh bunch of green onions, pictured below.  I hate that I didn't learn this years ago!  It's so nice to always have fresh green onions in my kitchen (and its free after the initial purchase)!  I'm not sure how many times these will regrow, but I will update this post when I have officially used them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment